Young Israel of Great Neck
YIGN Welcome Back Picnic September 7
The YIGN is a Modern Orthodox synagogue that was founded by six visionary families. They dreamed of a participatory minyan that would be welcoming to all. After multiple small temporary locations, we moved to our present, beautiful facility at 236 Middle Neck Road in Great Neck, New York. We are privileged to inhabit a newly constructed Beit Midrash and classroom building, as well as a full sized gym. Read more
Rabbi Lerner's Weekly Parsha Shiur
Rabbi Lerner's parsha shiurim will resume in September
- Mazel tov to Rona and Ed Jutkowitz on the engagement of their daughter Mollie to Sammy Bald
- Mazel tov to Leah and Terry Rifkin, Alana and Adam Gelnick, Keli and Judah Rifkin and Barrie and Eliot Peyser on the engagement of their son, brother and nephew David to Maya Petashnick
- Mazel Tov to Henry and Rochelle Dicker, and Mordi and Nicole Dicker on the marriage of their granddaughter and niece Emma Goldman to Michael Goldberg
- Mazel tov to Laura and Scott Danoff on the engagement of their daughter Stephanie to Jonathan Furer
- Mazel tov to Ellen and Mitchell Siegel on the forthcoming marriage of their son Ben to Jessica Sandler
- Mazel tov to Debra and Mayer Abittan and Zelda and Sol Berger on their son and grandson, Rabbi Asher Abittan’s receiving semicha
Condolences to Sandra Justin and family on the loss of Sandra’s mother, Anna Maria Schmoller.
Welcome New Members Joy and Josef Allen
SHIURIM RESUMING The 6:10AM weekday shiur will resume on Tuesday, September 2nd. The Sunday morning parsha shiur will resume on Sunday, September 7th.
OUR YIGN WELCOME-BACK PICNIC
PLEASE JOIN US AT The "Welcome Back" Picnic, Sunday, 9/7 (3 p.m. - 6 pm), Kings Point Park (Steamboat entrance) - Deluxe BBQ, fun for the whole family, Coach Eric, Morah Monica and the 1st ever Rabbinic Fall Classic softball game...Lerner vs. Ismach - (not too late to join a team) - Register and pay in advance at yign.org - ($18/person, $54/family) Price is higher at the door. Sponsorships are available.
YOM TOV SEATING REQUESTS
If you have not done so already, please return your seating requests for the holidays as soon as possible. In order to reserve seats, your financial obligation must be satisfied
BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE
Our Book of Remembrance will contain Yizkor prayers as well as the names of those we remember during Yizkor recitation. Please consider memorializing one of our precious IDF soldiers as well. Cost for inclusion is $18 per name. To ensure your inclusion in the 5775/2014-2015 Book of Remembrance, please send in your names and a check for the appropriate amount to the shul office prior to Thursday, September 4, 2014.
We are once again able to offer the purchase of beautiful shtenders for your siddurim and chumashim. A sample is in our showcase in the lobby near the beit midrash. If you are interested in purchasing a shtender at the cost of $100, please call the shul office
NEW SCHOOL SUPPLIES COLLECTION Once again we will be collecting NEW school supplies to distribute to needy Jewish children. As you shop for your own children, please remember those that are not as fortunate. Please bring all school supplies to YIGN by August 21. For more information please contact Gina Aharonoff or Roya Samuels.
ANNUAL CLOTHING SALE
Ann Greenfield is once again eagerly ready to pick up your very good clothing to benefit needy communities in Israel. In need are men’s, women’s and children’s clothing in fine condition: suits, dresses, coats, slacks, separates, hats, shoes and handbags. Try to put clothes on hangers. Also new gift items in original packaging would be appreciated. Please call Ann at 516-487-0940 to arrange for pickup time. Ann will give you a tax receipt at time of pickup.
SHIUR FOR WOMEN Sunday, September, 14, 2014 - 9:30-11:00 a.m. - The Mitzvah of Intimacy: Behind the Scenes of a Marriage - Speaker: Dena Block, Yoetzet Halacha, Great Neck Synagogue - Where: At the home of Davida Yehaskel, 9 Willow Lane, Great Neck
The following donations have been made to the Young Israel of Great Neck:
- Gina and Gabriel Aharonoff in honor of the birth of Rabbi Yaacov and Abby Lerner’s grandson
- Helene and Ted Kravitz in honor of Elisha Gimpel’s bar mitzvah
Lawrence Pitler in honor of the marriage of Nini Goldberg and Joey Slochowsky
- Mazie and Steve Foss in honor of the birth of Amalia and Haim Soleimani’s grandson; In honor of the marriage of Nini Goldberg and Joey Slochowsky; in honor of the birth of Rabbi Yaacov and Abby Lerner’s grandson
- Anita and Hal Beretz in honor of the birth of Rabbi Yaacov and Abby Lerner’s grandson; In honor of the birth of Randi and Michael Barenholtz’s granddaughter; In honor of the engagement of Evan Genachowski to Rachel Ehrlich; In honor of the birth of Paula and Mark Lev’s granddaughter
- Romina and Oded Weiss in memory of Alfred Haft
- Adele and Azriel Genachowski in memory of Anna Maria Schmoller
- Zelda and Sol Berger in honor of the birth of Rabbi Yaacov and Abby Lerner’s grandson; In honor of the birth of Barbara and Efraim Weinblatt’s grandson; In honor of the engagement of David Rifkin and Maya Petashnick; In honor of the engagement of Mollie Jutkowitz and Sammy Bald; In honor of the engagement of Stephanie Danoff and Jonathan Fure.; In honor of Rabbi Asher Abittan’s receiving semicha